Thursday, February 19, 2009

Hang Ah Tea Room

1 Pagoda Place (at Sacramento St)

So... this is a strange place. The decor is bright neon and I was there recently, went in to the bathroom and what did I find? Tongs by the toilet. Yeah. I don't even know what to make of that. With that being said, I do enjoy the dim sum here. No, it isn't the best dim sum in the city. Yes, it can be rather greasy but sometimes, I need that. They often have workers passing fliers to tourists on Grant and they will walk you up here. I know that can be a turn off and often signal AVOID in neon lights as bright as their decor, however, this place markets itself as the oldest dim sum restaurant in the city. It is in guide books. That is their gig. Now weirdness aside, this place is cheap and the quantity is there. I work nearby which admittedly also make it appealing due to sheer laziness. Simply put, it is worth the try for a cheap lunch. Kind of a tourist trap (see "passing out fliers on Grant") but nonetheless, one I can recommend. It just kind of works.
Oh, do stay away from non-dim sum items though. Those typically aren't good in my opinion.

No comments: