Sunday, May 31, 2009

To make people love you

I love to cook and I don't get to do it nearly as often as I'd like. This weekend, we had a little get together and I prepared this along with mashed potatoes as a main course and it went over unbelievably well. Add to that my spanakopita appetizers and lemon gelato for dessert, I bribed people to love me. I am really not a red meat eater in general and even I thought this was incredibly tasty. It was a fun weekend. And so, I leave you with my recipe. If you make it, I hope you enjoy it as much as my guests did.

Horseradish-Crusted Roast Beef

6 lb. prime rib, top round, sirloin, or your preferred roast
½ c. prepared horseradish
2 tablespoons kosher salt (I cut this in half)
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
1 overflowing tablespoon sherry vinegar

Preheat oven to 375. Set a rack in a large roasting pan.

In a small bowl, mix together all of your ingredients then slather the paste all over the top, bottom and sides of the meat. Place roast on the rack in pan and place in oven. Roast for approximately 2 hours for medium rare more if you like your meat well done. I did 2.5 hours for a 2.5 lb roast and it was well done, but not over cooked.

Slice and serve with mashed potatoes and horseradish cream sauce (combine prepared horseradish with a tub of crème fraiche to make sauce.)

No comments: